Welcome to our museum blog which has been set up to tell you about the history of our station. The museum is based in an old Victorian Railway Station in the spa village of Strathpeffer. The station, now a listed building, was built in 1885 and still has most of it’s original features. The museum Trust has owned it since 2009 and is now responsible for it’s upkeep.
The building was also extended in 2010 with the addition of the Goods Shed Education Space and a museum’s collections store. It’s design was created to blend in with the original building although it’s more modern inside.
More recently we’ve been working on a project to restore the canopy which runs along the platform. It needs some work done including replacement of timber panels and glass panes as well as attention to the drainage pipes. As part of this project we decided to research as much of the history of the station as possible. Our visitors ask lots of questions about the railway and the station so we’d like to give them as much information as possible.
The works haven’t started yet but the research has! Susan Kruse from ARCH has been working with some local enthusiasts who have been uncovering images and lots of interesting files. We hope in our blog to share what we’ve found.